FEATURE VIDEO

Monday, March 8, 2010

Mo'Nique: Getting the Last Laugh, Afterall, for Oscar Winning 'Precious' Role





By Karu F. Daniels on Mar 7th 2010 11:11PM
Filed under

Though most critics – hands down – praised Mo'Nique's stunning acting performance as a loathsome welfare queen in 'Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire,' many gossip columnists and pop culture pundits ostracized her for not doing what other Academy Award nominees have done – to promote their films.

Well, the rotund funny-woman seemed to have gotten that last laugh during the 82nd Annual Academy Awards on March 7; she actually won the prize for best supporting actress.

Accepting the award during live internationally-televised broadcast, the brazen Baltimore native stated: "I would like to thank the Academy for showing that it can be about the performance and not the politics."

"To my amazing husband, Sidney [Hicks] -- thank you for showing me that sometimes you have to forego doing what's popular, in order to do what's right," she added to the chagrin of her naysayers and detractors.

Mo'Nique's big win, while momentous to many, caused a stir on social media circles such as Facebook and Twitter, with many of the websites' "followers" lampooning her – some audaciously going as far that she will never be recognized again for such an honor.

Meanwhile, her fellow comedian and friend Sheryl Underwood showered her with praise for her win.

"Here is a person, who went through adversity in her childhood and in her personal life, that we have seen evolve to become comfortable enough in her own skin to perform stand-up comedy, star in her own sitcom and host reality shows, the BET Awards and her own BET talk show."

"The way she has channeled traumatic experiences into an Academy Award winning performance let's us all know that with belief in yourself and a higher power you can accomplish great things ... [I am] confident that Mo'Nique will go on to produce, direct and star in other award winning vehicles, and I must say she looked beautiful in her royal blue gown, accented with a white flower in her hair."
COMPLETE LIST OF 82nd ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS WINNERS

RED CARPET COVERAGE

Mo'Nique is only the fifth black woman to win an Academy Award: Hattie McDaniel, Halle Berry, Whoopi Goldberg and Jennifer Hudson shared the honors before her.

Backstage at the Oscars, the recent NAACP Image Award winning BET late night talk show hostess deadpanned, "I am a stand up comedian who won an Oscar! Ha, baby, I tickle me!"

"You know, this role was so not about my acting career," she said of the collard greens and pig-feet-eating, child molester Mary Jones. "This role has shaped my life and allowed me not to judge and to love unconditionally. If that goes into my career, great, but if it doesn't and I'm just the dynamic person that I strive to be every day, then I've won, baby!"

The 42-year-old actress, who previously turned in dramatic performances in the films 'Domino' and 'Shadowboxer,' reiterated what she said onstage: "Everything I wanted to say, and everything I needed to say, I said ... I'm very proud to be part of an academy that says we will not play that game. We will judge her on her performance, not how many dinners she attended."

Just to think, there have been so many actors (even black ones who are considered the best in the business) who played by the politics and did what everyone else told them to do. Yet, they still have challenges getting recognized in Hollywood.

Furthermore, some movie projects from acclaimed Academy Award winners -- who shall remain nameless -- go straight-to-DVD.

No comments: